Saturday, April 01, 2006

OpenSource is Incomplete without OpenIdeas

I think and strongly feel that opensource work is incomplete without openideas. In my past experience I have found that people in two different parts of world can face similar issues in daily life and can come up with similar or same ideas/solutions; and they might not know about each other's work for years altogether. Will, only the person who goes public first, have rights to those ideas and solutions? What sense does it make?

I don't know how to express it, but it looks some kind of demeaning-of/disrespect-to human mind and it's thinking capabilities. I am not satisfied that I have translated what-I-wanted-to-express into words here. May be over the time I will be able to express my thoughts and feellings about the same more clearly.

I feel to give completeness to OpenSource initiative, we need to have OpenIdeas as well, whereby people over the world can share their ideas with the community and let ideas breathe freely beyond the prison of patents. OpenIdeas will act as a forum for people to help in the cause.

Hoping that OpenIdeas gets to see light of the day and lives. I have conveyed above feelings regarding OpenIdeas in a mail to Richard Stallman (rms at gnu period org), let's hope something fruitful comes out of this for the people of world.

To start with I have already shared lot of my ideas (crazy-fancy-useful) with community at http://www.geocities.com/shimple0/techcorner.html .

1 comment:

ik said...

Got a reply from Mr. Stallman on Monday 03-04-06, where he cleared to me that Open source was started in 1998 as a reaction against the free software movement. He suggested me to go through
Difference between Free Software and Open Source
and Free Software philosophy and see, if I have different ideas to suggest to him.

I wonder how many more ignorants like me are there who take opensource and free software in same stride. A cursory look on the links suggested, clarified to me what I am looking for is - Free software is incomplete without Free Ideas.

I have downloaded quite some material from suggested-to-read links and will go through in next couple of days before getting back to Mr. Stallman. I have some hopes.